CANUCKS BANTER By Andrew Chernoff December 20, 2015
Vancouver (12-14-8) plays the second to last game of their six game road trip, when they face-off against Florida (17-12-4) this afternoon.
The Panthers open a 6 game homestand after winning 3 of 4 on the road that ended with a 2-0 victory against the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday. Florida is 9-3-0 in their last 12 games.
Roberto Luongo got his second shutout of the season against Carolina. He is 6-4-0 in his last 10 games with a 1.73 GAA and a .935 Sv%.
Florida is 5th in the Atlantic division of the Eastern Conference, 5 points behind Montreal in 1rst place, and 6 points ahead of Toronto in last place.
The Canucks look for their second consecutive road victory after defeating the Detroit Red Wings 4-3 in a shootout on Friday. The win followed three earlier losses on the road trip to the Philadelphia Flyers, Minnesota Wild and Chicago Black Hawks.
With the win against Detroit, Ryan Miller’s record improved to 5-4-1 in his last 10 games with a 3.03 GAA and .906 Sv%.
The last time Vancouver won consecutive road games was October 12 and 13 against Anaheim and Los Angeles.
Vancouver is tied for 3rd place in the Pacific division with Arizona and Calgary with 32 points, a single point behind San Jose in 2nd spot and three points ahead of Anaheim in last place.
Four points separate Nos 2-7 in the Pacific division.
- The Canucks wrapped up their sixth of 13 back-to-back series this season against Detroit on Friday night. Thus far, the Canucks have gone 5-4-3 in back-to-back games this season including a record of 2-3-1 in the first game and 3-1-2 in the second game.
- Last season, Vancouver played in 12 back-to-back series. They posted a 15-8-1 record in those series going 10-2-0 in the first game and 5-6-1 in the second game.
- ROAD TRIP SO FAR……
- Vancouver record: 1W-3L (GF: 5; GA: 15)
- Canucks have had five different goal scorers with a goal each:
- Jared McCann, Radim Vrbata, Sven Baertschi
- Henrik Sedin, Jannik Hansen
- Shot leaders:
- Daniel Sedin: 20
- Radim Vrbata: 17
- Alex Edler: 14
- Face-off win percentage:
- Alex Burrows: 66.7%
- Bo Horvat: 53.3%
- Derek Dorsett: 50%
- Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin: +2 each
- Chris Higgins: -6; Alex Edler: -5
- Chris Tanev: -3; Bo Horvat: -4
- Matt Bartkowski: -3
- Chris Tanev leads the team and is t-7th in the League in blocked shots with 84. His defence partner Alex Edler ranks t-11th in the
NHL with 71 blocked shots.
- Ronalds Kenins is t-4rth in the NHL in hits per games played with 4.5.
- Derek Dorsett leads the team in hits with 76 and is tied for the 30th most hits in the league.
- Daniel Sedin (126) and Radim Vrbata (117) rank 6th and 8th in the League, respectively, in shots.
- The Canucks 21 PPG on the season are t-9th most in the NHL
- Vancouver has had 119 power play opportunities to date, tied with Montreal for the the most in the League
- The Canucks are 13th in the League in blocked shots with 460 and 8th in shots for with 1009
- Vancouver is 24th in shots against with 1030.
- Vancouver is 9th in the NHL in total face-offs with 2055 and 1rst in face-off losses with 1112.
- The Canucks have the 5th least amount of hits in the league this season with 643 in 34 games for 18.9 hits per game.
- Vancouver averages 29.7 shots for/gp (14th in the NHL) and 30.3 shots against/gp (22nd in the NHL).
- In the last 10 games, the Canucks are 3 for 31: 9.7% on the power play:
- Road: 1 for 15: 6.7%
- Home: 2 for 16: 12.5%
- The penalty kill, in the last 10 games, is 29 for 35, 82.9 percent:
- Road: 17 for 23: 73.9%
- Home: 12 for 12: 100%